Friday, November 17, 2006

Tobago Cays, Grenadines
12.37.791N
61.21.393W


It definitely blew a houley last night! At one point, Dale turned on the wind indicator and saw that it was blowing 30 kts steady. Probably that tropical wave we’ve been hearing about go through. Still, it was another beautiful morning that we awoke to.

I had just opened up our companion way when I saw the first mega-cat heading straight towards us; yipes! they like to pass by close. I gave my best royal wave and smiled knowing that I’d hadn’t brushed my hair yet. I didn’t hear any screams, so I guess it was OK.

A little later, I jumped in and swam out to the anchor and back, just to say that I’d exercised a bit. I noticed that the water wasn’t as clear as it had been yesterday but I hung off the back ladder and watched the school of (most likely) herring and 5 trunkfish that had taken up residency under our boat. A couple of the tiniest bright yellow damselfish were hanging around the rudder. It doesn’t take a whole lot to entertain me.

Dale decided that the sat phone wasn’t working properly so he spent the better part of the day using, Rainbowrider’s sat phone and the last of our minutes on our Trini cell phone trying to figure out why we aren’t connecting to the satellite. So far, no joy. Have you ever noticed that you need a phone to fix a phone; particularly if you’re in the middle of the ocean?

Periodically we’d jump in the water and just paddle around the boat a bit to cool off. I have to admit, it’s a lot cooler down here than I thought it would be. Generally speaking, the temperature stays in the mid 80’s all the time. It’s the humidity that goes up and down and you really need those trade winds to keep things comfortable. We watched as a broad line of black clouds passed south of us and decided to finish the rest of our sky watching from the boat.

We ended the day by gathering on Rainbowrider with Gary & Linda and Jim & Gina from MelloMoon. I started throwing out the idea that if we all got together, we could probably come up with a pretty good Thanksgiving dinner. Gina & Linda seemed interested, so we’ll see where it takes us. I remember a British couple saying that we Americans were always organizing things. What can I say? Someone has to do it and besides, I searched all over Trini for a frozen turkey breast.

No comments: