Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
18.20.257N
64.55.694W


Today, while the crew of MTNest went on a tour of the island, Dale and I tried to run a new spinnaker halyard. He hoisted me up the mast armed with the new halyard, a thin leader line with a lead weight, knife, scissors, masking tape, duck tape (you never know), and a wire cover (the last time he went up, he saw where one was needed). Everything went well on the trip up, except that once I made it to the top. . . the lead weight was too big to fit through the opening. The only place big enough to shove it through was where the wires were coming out at the top, an inch or two from where it needed to be threaded through. I figured I could thread the halyard itself from there then tie the two together.

Sorry to say though, the angle was wrong and no matter what I did, the lead weight and leader line would tangle with the wires part way down the mast and have to be retrieved. After about a hour and a half of dropping it in, bringing it back out, dropping it back down, bringing it back out, dark clouds started to appear coming over the mountains protecting the harbor, so we called it quits. However this time, the line wouldn’t come back out when I tried to retrieve it. Eventually, I pulled as much as I could get to out and cut the rest. You know that at some point, probably on a quiet night, that weight will finally free itself and fall to the deck and scare us half to death.
The rain started just as I was applying the wire cover and by the time I finally made it down the mast, Dale had his own wet t-shirt exhibition slip-sliding towards him.

We decided to wait until we got back to Roosey to try to do it again; next time with some other type of weight and a larger leader line that wouldn’t twirl around the wires already in place.
We caught up with Mike, Terri and the girls later and exchanged stories of how we spent our day. They had a great time exploring various beaches and telling us about a coral garden that was available at one of them while Dale and I had finished our day by exploring various sailing and pirate shops along the wharf.

We said our good-byes to them and promised to catch up again down island in a couple of months. If not, Minnesota here we come!

No comments: