Monday, March 19, 2007

Rodney Bay,
St. Lucia
14.04.473N
60.56.990W


First thing this morning, Dale & Gerry went and stood in line for the customs office to open in order to check us into the country. Once again, it was 8am ‘island time’, which means it was closer to 9am by the time the doors were actually opened.

I had stayed on the boat to run the genset, try to upload my blog posts and to be prepared to move us forward in case the boat behind us wanted to get underway before Dale returned. As it turned out, I ran topside when I saw the couple on their deck but he shouted over that they had changed their minds due to the winds being unfavorable for the northern transit they had wanted to make. That and it was raining.

Dale & Gerry came back saying they had run into Mike & Terri at the marina, who had agreed to join us for our island tour. What a treat, they are really great people.

We had the Indian fast food called a roti (curried chicken & potatoes in a burrito bundle) for lunch, then the guys took off to “work” on Mike’s watermaker. Nicky and I dug out our sewing machines and did our own work. Mine consisted of trying to recover our dinghy seat cushion which is taking a beating considering how well Dale secures the dinghy with cross ropes. The job is easier said than done. I’ve got it almost finished but with the tour tomorrow, I’m not sure when I’ll actually get it done.

The guys returned with the news of ‘no joy’ on the watermaker. They had discovered that the filters had been put in backwards but other than that, they were only able to ascertain that it was a problem with the pressure.

I put my sewing aside early, since we had made arrangements to go into an Indian restaurant called Razmataz. Indian cuisine was the theme of the day, I guess. Gerry & Nicky guided us through the menu and we had a very tasty and spicy dinner. Curries and chilies were in almost every dish; only the mint yogurt put out the flames.

Odd choice of words, now that I re-read them. Just after I wrote that paragraph, I heard a muffled pop. Seconds later, a boat in front and to the right of us quite a bit away was fully engulfed in fire. I called to Dale, then hailed the marina on the radio. As it was a little after 11:30 pm, so I wasn’t sure anyone would answer. Thank heavens they did and I was able to tell them they had a boat on fire at the end of their dock. Fire engines arrived within minutes. There were at least 2 and possibly 3 more muffled pops after the fire engines arrived. It was a difficult fire to put out as it kept coming back and to this minute, there are a few flames that keep popping back up. Unfortunately, the boat appears to have been burned to the water line in about 30 minutes. Hard to tell from here. Hopefully no one was on board.

It’s amazing what you see when you’re a night owl trying to get a decent internet connection.

No comments: