Saturday, March 14, 2020


Saturday, March 14, 2020

Boqueron, Puerto Rico
18.01.314N
67.10.789W

We made it!  Wahoo!  Puerto Rico, finally! 

As we approached our waypoint for Boqueron at the 5am shift change, we picked a place on the chart to drop our sails and then motored into the anchorage at ultra slow speed waiting for the sun to come up.  Dale took the time in the early rays to coil and tidy up the lines and then we made like the African Queen and putt putted into the harbor.  By the time we were close enough to chose an anchoring spot, the sun was rising and we were able to see that with the exception of a couple of small sailboats very close to shore, we were the only cruising boat in the harbor.  I found it odd as the last time we were here, there were probably 30-40 boats. 

We did our usual anchor routine and once we felt secure, turned off the engines and watched to make sure we weren’t going anywhere. 

Dale was first to use the hot water for a shower while I started sending out messages to let everyone know that we had made it safely.  Then I downloaded an app that Gerry and Nicky had told us about that the Customs and Border Protection Agency has for checking in.  It was a bit problematic putting in all of the information in the beginning as I don’t like leaving my camera, microphone and GPS info on in my phone but once I figured out how to access all of the accessories, checking in was a breeze.  During the telephone interview, I was cautioned not to take any food off the boat and to check in advance of our next stop to make sure the marinas were actually opened and I was asked if everyone onboard was healthy.  These last questions set the tone for the remainder of the day.

Now that we were officially checked in, secure, tidy and our friends and family knew that we had arrived, we laid down for naps.  Dale had no problem but I found once you get into a rhythm of sleeping for only a couple of hours and then wide awake, that continues for a bit.  It was enough to refresh ourselves, so once Dale was up, he was raring to go. 

By this time, the normal wave action had begun, so when we released the dinghy from the davits, it swung wildly from side to side getting more and more uncontrollable with each swing.  Dale grabbed it from the side and I from the top, we were finally able to get in under control long enough to drop it into the water.

We struggled into it (with Dale commenting that it had been since George Town that we had to climb from the Palace into the dink) and then took off for town and Pinchos!  I found myself eagerly anticipating the taste of the garlic butter chicken pieces on a stick the roadside vendors sell. 

Unfortunately, that was just a day dream.  We motored into what had been a community dock only to find it barely standing.  We motored over to a more stable dock but there was a gate on it that was locked, so although we could tie up the boat, we couldn’t get from the dock to town or back without a swim.  So we tried motoring down towards the marina at the opposite end of the harbor.  Again, no dinghy docks, locked gates and no one offering any suggestions.  At that point, we decided that we were no longer welcome in Boqueron, so we headed back to the Palace where I was (apparently) in a less than happy mood. I think I was just hungry.

To keep myself entertained, I started catching up on all of the emails I had sent out earlier.  Gerry and Nicky had just learned that the BVIs are requiring a 24 hour advance notice to enter; they are in the USVIs and had not learned how this was actually supposed to happen but that the powers that be had closed some of the outlying entry points to stream line those checking in to those in the larger more congested areas.  Then Gene and Renee sent word that they had heard Ponce was closing their marina to any new boats coming in.  Dale got on the phone and tried calling but could only get in touch with the security guard, whose English was limited but we were told to come on in and call when we got there.  OK, we can do that.  We have to go in that direction anyway.  I just don’t like the idea of using fuel if there’s no possibility of getting more where we’re headed.  Some of my cruising sites are talking about various countries (that we intend to visit) are closing their ports to arriving vessels, if said vessel had been in a previous country with the virus. 

OK enough!  This is getting ridiculous!  I’m not saying that its not serious but come on folks, it’s the flu!  More people are killed in car accidents in the US in a year than all of the people around the world have been killed by this virus.  My kids have always said that I was a germaphobe anyway because of the way I use hand sanitizer frequently, so I find all of this more than I can understand.  Use soap and water, cover your mouth when you cough, go to bed if your sick; all the things I tried to instill in my little ones is just common sense in my mind. 

So now I’ll come off my soap box to say that tomorrow morning bright and early, we’ll move farther east to Ponce, or the anchorage outside of Ponce to see if we can come in, take on fuel or get handed our hats.  See ya’ll later. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you made crossing fine, sorry for the great welcome. We are concerned on what awaits us retuning to the states from Bahamas.We are all cruises and well make due.