Wednesday, April 22, 2020


Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI
18.20.016N
64.55.440W

We might be seeing a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.  Can’t be sure but we’re hoping. 

On Monday, Dale and I hiked to the Post Office to pick up my meds.  No issues this time as we went to the box window straight off, had our tracking number and had already confirmed that it had arrived.  Afterwards, as we waited for the rain to clear, Dale struck up a conversation with a Fire Rescue guy waiting outside the building.  Our oldest son works for the LA County Fire Department as an engineer and we’ve found that once we mention that to any fire fighter, they open up immediately and start talking.  After the rain passed, we said our good byes and swung by Pueblo, the local grocery store, on our way back just because we could and then, instead of going to Wendy’s for an early lunch, walked a little further to pick up Subway sandwiches to take back to the boat.  Have to add a little variety to our lives.  The boats were still dancing on their anchors, so Dale and Gerry put off changing the zincs on Opal for another day.

However, Dale did tear the balky ice maker apart again.  What he found was that it appears to work just fine when time is put between each request for ice.  He’s decided that it is overheating.  Since we’re in almost constant 85+ degree weather, it doesn’t cool.  His solution?  Leave the outside cover off.  So far, its been working beautifully.  As its not the most attractive appliance now, its been relegated to the guest side bathroom where it sits making ice without issue.  

Tuesday was my big day at the dentist.  Boy were they following protocol for the CoVid19 situation.  All the doors were locked but there was a sign on the back door indicating that if you had an appointment, to call a particular number.  I did but only got an answering machine.  I left a message that I had arrived for my appointment and was out in the parking lot.  A couple of minutes later, I received a return call and was instructed to go back to the door and wait.  Soon enough, two gloved, masked and hand sanitizer packing ladies came to the door, directed me to hold out my hands to be sanitized, before handing me a clipboard with the customary 4 page medical questionnaire to fill out.  They even handed me a “clean” pen to use.  I asked where I was to fill this out as we had arrived by cab and I was standing in an empty parking lot.  We were directed to the curb on the opposite side under a palm tree for shade.  We did as told and while filling out the questionnaire, they came back out to obtain my insurance card.  You should have seen that transfer!  I dug it out of my wallet and put it in the first one’s gloved hand.  She wiped it down with sanitizer before handing it to the second’s gloved hand and they disappeared back into the building.  Each time they opened the door, they wiped it with sanitizer.  We went through the same procedure to transfer the clipboard back to them.  Eventually, I was called in for my appointment.  Dale was instructed to wait outside; only the patient would be allowed in.  The long and short of that is that I need to return on Friday for a temporary crown as it will take them 3 weeks to get a permanent one.  With any kind of luck, we should be gone by that time. 

Once I was done with the dentist, I was directed to the front desk for payment, we went through the same sanitizing procedure to transfer my credit card back and forth and getting a copy of my bill.  Where they had directed me to stand through all of this was at the bottom of a couple of steps.  While waiting I took the opportunity to sit down on one of the steps.  I was surprised that the dentist had seen this and actually brought me a chair to sit in (I forgot to look to see if he was wearing gloves and I certainly didn’t ask if the chair had been disinfected!) Believe it or not, these are actually the best procedures to use in the event of a pandemic.  We just haven’t seen them being used anywhere else.  In fact, we’ve shaken our heads seeing a lot of people not even wearing their masks properly.  In any event, it was an experience.  Obviously to be repeated on Friday. 


When we came back to the harbor Gerry had been given word that his 2 new solar panels had arrived, so he and Dale dinghied in and each balanced one on their respective tenders.  As it was mid afternoon by the time they were transferred to Opal, they elected to install them today.  


We ended the day by gathering on Opal for “Hot Dog Tuesday.”  It was truly an American dinner.  Nicky provided the hot dogs and condiments,  Renee provided the baked beans and I provided the potato salad.  We even ended the meal with apple pie and chocolate chip cookies.  Can’t get any more American than that. 

The Tinker Twins
(Photos provided by Nicky)
Today, bright and early, we lowered the dinghy and I took Dale over to Opal to help install the solar panels but then returned to the Palace to do the dishes with solar hot water and type this installment.  This afternoon, once everyone’s chores are done, we are gathering here to play a game of Mexican Train Dominos.  I’ve had to adjust my “drunken watermelon” recipe, as I followed the instructions yesterday about cutting the hole and then tipping the bottle into the cavity but the watermelon never soaked up the rum.  So today, I cut up the watermelon, put it in a bowl and poured the liquor over it.  There’s more than one way to skin a cat! 

I started this post by saying that there might be a glimmer of hope.  I say this as the guys search the web daily for any news that the more southern islands are opening up prior to hurricane season.  
Yesterday, we saw where Grenada was slowly opening their businesses to those already in the country.  We’re hoping that is a good sign and in the next week or two, they will once again open their borders.  Trinidad mostly likely will be right behind Grenada as they are the two countries most cruisers wait out hurricane season in and somewhat in competition with.  With many cruisers making the decision to return home already, the longer it’s put off, the less boaters will be making the transit south.   

I leave you with today’s joke (as one of my friends sent me a few to keep me entertained): 

You know if you keep a glass of wine in each hand, you can’t accidentally touch your face! 

No comments: