Monday, November 30, 2020

 

November 13, 2020

St. George’s, Grenada

Spice Island Marine/Cool Runnings Apts.

12.00 N

61.45 W

 

Dale made it to Pensacola last evening and was sleeping in a real bed by midnight; much nicer than his last trip.  He’s learned that Aunt Tina became weak and unresponsive while bathing so the visiting nurse thought she was having a diabetic issue and gave her some pudding prior to checking her blood.  Thus, the high blood sugar.  After being admitted to the hospital, it was determined that she had high blood pressure and an infection.  They have started antibiotics and are keeping her for another couple of days until she becomes strong enough to be released into rehab.  Dale has spoken with the neighbors and her best friend about moving her to a nursing home once she is released from rehab.  Its not what she wanted, but at this point, it’s looking more and more that its what she needs. 

At the boatyard, the AC technician arrived and finished installing the main AC.  Unfortunately, until the boat is back in the water, we cannot test it, as it is water cooled. 

The boat itself was filthy.  The power sanding has left a layer of black dust over everything.  I dropped the remaining isinglass panels around the cockpit in an attempt to keep some of the dirt out of the white area but I doubt that it will do much considering that when I went into the locked salon, there was an even finer layer of dust on everything. 

My tomato plant is still alive and the battery is still above 60%, so I locked everything back up and called it a day. 

Good news from Texas that my step Dad is continuing to improve.  His oxygen levels have returned to normal and he’s eating normally. 


11/15/2020      Gerry/Nicky and I take a taxi to the The Brewery for lunch and a bit of vegetable shopping as they have craft and veggie markets for local vendors in their interior courtyard.  Nicky did some much needed veggie shopping as she is still without refrigeration.  We all have a tasty lunch and return to our respective abodes for naps or in my case, endless Christmas movies.  I love those movies and since no one can tell me no, I’m taking full advantage of the situation.  


11/16/2020      I start the day early by picking flowers for my table but have to hurry as it starts sprinkling. 

Apparently, Gerry is tired of working on his boat and makes arrangements to meet me on our boat as soon as it stops raining.  I had sent Dale a photo of the new install which, after review, he asked that the AC guys to return and secure a drain hose that is too high to drain anything.  Gerry feels there is no need to recall the technicians and moves the board that was initially installed a bit so that zip ties can be utilized to tie the offending hose down.  That only takes a few minutes and we’re back to our mutual homes to ride out the on again off again rain squalls.

In Pensacola, Dale is busy moving Aunt Tina to a rehab facility from the hospital.  Its one that one of Aunt Tina’s friends had used and recommended.  It is close to her home so that her friends can visit her.   

            I’m quite content to watch TV the rest of the day but about 10pm find a drip in the bathroom.  My ceiling is leaking so I turn on more lights and start searching.  My ceiling appears to be raining.  Its coming from all over the place.  It doesn’t look like its going to collapse, so I’ll wait to morning to call the security people to let them know that the Voodoo doll is in full swing again.  Nicky is never going to believe this!

 

11/17/2020      I report my bathroom raining situation.  Glenda, the office person/security guard on certain days, comes by and checks.  It has to be coming from the roof as there are no cracks or obvious ways of water penetrating the concrete ceiling.  I’m located on the second floor of a three story apartment complex, so its rather bizarre, however, if you look at the outside of the building, you can see clearly where there is water damage right at the juncture of two roof lines that runs down the side of the building; right by my bathroom.   

                        My cable TV stops working; I was right in the middle of a good movie.  There is no signal.  I resort to playing computer games, reading and then taking a walk over to check on the boat.  Yep, still there.  I can tell that people have been working on it but at the time, there is no one to ask. When I return to my apt.  I have two cable guys swapping out the cable box.  When they’re done, I have much better reception.  Apparently, they were swapping out everyone’s cable box, thus the interruption in my Christmas movie marathon.

 

11/18/2020      Gerry drops by and asks if they can use the laundry facilities in the apt. building later in the day as the marina’s dryers are not working.  I invite them to dinner as they can use the laundry while we’re eating.  I also ask if Nicky can give me a hand as she is much more experienced in cooking Indian/Thai food than I.  You see, my daughter (who loves to cook) sent me a recipe for chicken curry with noodles and vegetables along with Thai noodles, curry pastes, various sauces, etc and I have never cooked with these before.  Reading this blog, you are aware that I love to eat at Indian restaurants but would never try to duplicate such delicacies on my own.  I review the recipe and a couple of YouTube videos and learn that its all very quick, so I set about cutting up everything (like they do in the cooking shows) in anticipation of our dinner.  By the time Nicky arrives, I’m almost ready.  She chides me in the fact that I’ve used all of the bowls in the kitchenette before making a quick dash to put laundry in, and returning to instruct me in how to go about making my dish.  I thought it was a tasty meal although I know that both Gerry and Nicky like their Indian food hot; this was not hot.  I think the next time I make it, I’ll add more fresh ginger to it; possibly a bit more curry paste but not too much.  Otherwise not as difficult as I originally thought. 

            In Pensacola, Dale is getting a lesson regarding the opposite side of the medical field.  He’s getting the run around of being told one thing but finding out that just because he was told something, doesn’t mean it is so.  He had gone to great lengths to make sure he and Aunt Tina’s friends could visit her in the rehab facility he checked her into but the next day, he’s told that he, in fact, cannot visit her when he wants, he has to call and make an appointment.  He can’t check on her in her room to make sure it to his specifications and he is told that he needs a “traveling notary” for her to sign their specific Power of Attorney as they don’t recognize the one previously created by an attorney.  He’s frustrated.  Then twice within 12 hours, he’s contacted by the rehab facility that Aunt Tina has fallen; now he’s livid and threatening to pull her out and return her to her own home with visiting rehab services. 

    Port Louis confirms that they have received the part numbers for ordering the surge protector and gauges damaged in the power surge and will be ordering the parts.  We're making progress.

 

11/19/2020      I go to do my daily check on the boat and as soon as I turn the corner to where it had been, its gone.  It was there yesterday.  I about-face to march into the office to question its location and find it along the way.  As it happens, the owner/general manager that Dale first spoke with sees me and asks how things are going.  We discuss the boat and his feeling that things are on schedule.  I ask/tell him to let me know the next time they move the boat so that I don’t have heart attack when I find it missing.  Truth be told, Gerry had seen it in the slings and alerted me that something was afoot and I might want to investigate.  I think if he hadn’t given me the heads up, I would have had that panicked sensation upon seeing that it was no longer where I had left it; like knowing where you parked your car but on return to the parking lot, it’s not there; until you realize you’re in the wrong row. 

            In Pensacola, Dale says he’s having a much better day.  He was able to locate a “traveling notary” who met him at the rehab facility and Aunt Tina was brought to them for her to sign their documents.  He said that they have been able to get Aunt Tina to eat and as a result she is looking much better, stronger, and he’s feeling better today about her staying with them although he still isn’t happy about not being able to visit her spontaneously. 

 

11/20/2020      Today, Friday, is another shopping day.  Gerry and Nicky pick me up in front of the apt building and we go looking for the “Treasure Trove” a type of marine second-hand shop.  If you recall, Gerry had his refrigeration system worked on in St. Thomas and when it continued to make disturbing noises when in use, they gave him a spare compressor in the event his died.  Since he decided that he wants to upgrade their system, he’s selling his “spare” unused compressor. 

Next, we returned to Port Louis Marina to the Customs’ office where I was to extend our Cruising Permit.  What I didn’t recall was that Dale had extended it on one of this walk abouts with Gerry prior to his fly backs to Pensacola.  So, I turned it in and ask for an extension, the officer goes through all of the documentation and returns it to me and says that we are cleared already until the end of the year.  I thank him for his time and return to the car, just in time for Gerry to return from his quick trip to the bakery to pick up meat pastries for all of us for lunch. 

Our next stop is at the Immigration office where all 3 of us need to extend our visas.  It’s a 3 step process. First you go to the office at the top of the hill from where you have to park to obtain the extension application; fill out said application and leave it with your passport to go to the Treasury Dept to pay for said extension.  Of course, the Treasury Dept is at the bottom of the hill via a staircase built many years ago over the roots of a huge tree.   We fork over the money for our visas and while waiting for our receipts note a sign that says the Treasury Dept closes between the hours of 1-3pm for lunch.  Its 12:56pm.  We hold our breath until our receipts are in hand.  Then back up the hill to turn over the receipt and collect our passports with extended visas. 

We make our customary stops at the bank for refilling our wallets and the pharmacy for refilling our meds before finally making it to the supermarket where I had a small list but still managed to fill the basket.


We return to our respective abodes to put away the groceries and check our eyelids for light leaks before meeting once again to go in search of dinner.  This time we have a wonderful dinner at True Blue marina at the Dodgy Dock.  I love gazing at the hillside of flowering trees and shrubs as much as I did when we first came here 14 years ago and position myself so that I can indulge in my virtual gardening while Gerry and Nicky gaze at the sunset beyond the anchorage.  We finish the evening by checking a different set of container fast food places and come away with take-out chicken tikka masala for tomorrow night’s dinner.   

I’ve been checking on the boat each day keeping watch on our battery power as we’ve left the refrigerator/freezer running.  It is slowly declining with each cloudy day, so I try turning off the refrigeration system at night to see if that will help bring the batteries back above 50%.

 

11/21/2020      I awake to rain and when I check on the boat decide that I’m going to leave the refrigeration system off for a full 24 hours as it certainly will not have an opportunity to recharge without the sun.  What little wind we get won’t be enough to keep the refrigeration system running and charge the batteries.  I bump into Gerry who is in the process of running a couple of more errands before turning the rental car back in, so I tag along.  I had seen a route to the Brewery that was less than a mile from the apt.  Gerry was a little hesitant to turn down one of the streets as it was more dirt than street but we followed the Google map and did, in fact, end up at the Brewery.  However, the route was fraught with steep hills that Nicky’s knee would not be able to negotiate, so strike it off our list of possibilities.  Since we were exploring, Gerry decided he wanted to check out where they could beach their dinghy to accomplish the same thing.  Again, it would involve negotiating a hill, although smaller, and on a good day, I think she could make it. 

 

11/22/2020      It’s a sunny day, so I make my journey over to the boat early in the morning and turn the refrigeration system back on.  I open the freezer to make sure that everything is still solid before locking everything back up.  I’ll return at sunset to turn everything back off again to save what charging we get.  As today is Sunday, we’ve started the habit of hailing a taxi to the Brewery to peruse their veggie market, bread and egg offerings, plus a quick trip around the local crafts.  We have lunch there and as they were out of Ginger beer, Nicky and I had mimosas.  Its healthy!  Orange juice with a little bubbly to tickle your nose.  Gerry and Nicky have salads but my selection is a bacon and egg sandwich.  Yum!  Then back to my Christmas movies for the afternoon. 

 

11/23/2020      It’s my birthday and after confirming a great start to the day with the sun shining and amps going into the can, the voodoo doll decided it was time for another present!  The yard guys added working on the leaking sail drives to their bottom painting and then had the owner/general manager summon me to come look at what they had found (they must have heard about my temper).  One of the sail drives (the one leaking oil out of the boat) had a nest of fishing line way up around the shaft.  Once cleared, a change of seals should take care of that problem.  The other sail drive (the one leaking water into the boat) had developed a leak that the Manta folks knew about and offered a fix which required dropping the sail drive to reposition the gasket.  However, when they pulled the prop off, the hard plastic part it screwed into was chewed up and needed replacing.  Unfortunately, on islands, they don’t replace little parts, they replace the entire sail drive.  So, my question of whether we were talking hundreds or thousands was answered with “depends.”  To make a long story short, I asked the general manager to work his end of finding replacement parts and I would see if I could get Dale to find one stateside to bring back with him.

I head back to the apt. for my WiFi signal and send a text to Dale in Pensacola that I needed to talk with him, he confirmed receipt and said that he would move to the local McDonalds for his WiFi signal and call.  I explained the situation, to which he of course asked, if I knew the part numbers.  Being my smart aleck self, tell him of course they’re in my back pocket, just let me pull it out.  He says he’ll hit the internet to see if he can find a schematic and I head back to the boat to pull manuals to see if I can find a parts list.  Although the manual didn’t have a parts list it did indicate that serial numbers on the engine and sail drive were required and where said serial numbers were located.  Thus, began the clearing of the bunk the engine is under to open the access doors and using a flashlight to search the engine/sail drive for the metal placards that contain the serial numbers.  Once found, it became a question of holding my cell phone at the right angle to photograph the numbers without washing them out in the flash.   I head back to the apt to send Dale my latest findings.  Between the two of us, we did it.  He found a parts list on line, needed the serial numbers of the sail drive to narrow down the specific one, located a warehouse that had one in stock and requested that it be overnighted to him.  Barring any hiccups, he should be bringing the part with him on Thursday and I can take it to the yard dudes on Friday.  Most ladies get little red teddies or shiny baubles for presents on their birthdays, I get a big ol’ hunk of black plastic.  I think this officially makes me a sea hag!

 

11/24/2020      Dale confirms that he has received the sail drive part and will bring it back with him.  Aunt Tina appears to be continuing to improve, so fingers crossed, she will be released from rehab on schedule.  In the meantime, the yard dudes have rearranged the boat.  I had arranged the two staterooms so that they could access the engines below the bunks but apparently, they needed more room and moved the mattresses to the hallways.  Now I can’t get into my pantry and with one of the mattresses on top of the refrigerator/freezer, I can’t slide my hand in to confirm that all is well.  Guess that I'll have to trust that the freezer is staying frozen and buy new for any pantry items I might need at the apt.  


11/25/2020   To be on the safe side, I resend copies of the receipts for the AC repair to PLM and request a status on the ordered parts.  I had originally sent them to her on 11/23 but can't tell that she opened the email. 

 

11/26/2020      Thanksgiving Day.  As Dale confirmed that he caught his flight back without incident, I ask the apt. manager to allow me to stock Dale’s quarantine apt. with food, beverages and tropical clothing before he arrives.  I see his taxi come into the locked area and watch from my window as they check him in.  Unfortunately, we learn that his apt. does not have a telephone or a TV.  Nothing to do about that now and he does have the ability to connect to internet and can watch TV from his computer and down load more books to his Kindle.  I begin the routine of making dinner and taking it to him each evening.  I have to place the meal in a bag, put it on the ground, then knock on the door, step back 6 feet so that he can retrieve it.  As he does this, he reverses the process to give me the sail drive part that has been wrapped in several plastic bags (thank you customs) so that I can take it to the yard dudes.     Surprisingly, today one of the other security guards is on duty and tells me I can take things to Dale but he is not to give me anything.  After telling him what I have in my hands, we come to the agreement to spray the whole thing down with disinfectant (to the point its dripping from the bags) and I’m allowed to continue on.  I happen to bump into the yard supervisor on my trip to turn the refrigeration off for the evening and tell him that I’ll leave the part on the cockpit table. 

 

11/27/2020      Today when I open up the boat and turn on the refrigeration, I take photos of all of the gauges and forward them on to Dale in quarantine.  He says that everything looks good.  I take photos of the work that’s been done to date and send those along as well.  Gerry and Nicky are busy preparing to receive their new refrigeration system. 

    I haven't heard from PLM about the ordered parts and send another email asking for a status.  

 

11/28/2020      Quiet day.  I made my routine trip to the boat to turn on refrigeration, then again in the evening to turn it back off and added a trip up the hill with Gerry in the middle of the day for a trip to the mini mart half way to the container store.  I needed a loaf of bread and found some Reeces Pieces that had my name on them.  Certainly getting my steps in for the day.  I drop off dinner to Dale. 

 

11/29/2020      Its Sunday and our (Gerry, Nicky and my) customary trek to the Brewery for brunch.  We met up with Chris and Helen (some people we had met in St. Thomas), plus some new cruisers and spent the next couple of hours just chit chatting and watching the Grand Prix race on the big screen TV.  People seem to be dividing into groups.  Those who are throwing in the towel and heading back, those who are going to stay in the Grenadian bubble (Grenada, Carriacou, and Grenadines) for the next year, and those who are tentatively continuing on.  No matter which direction you take, the restrictions; penalties for not following the restrictions; and the constantly changing restrictions, were the at the top of the list for discussion.  Other than that, Nicky and I made our veggie and egg purchases before settling in for our meals.  I had hoped that Dale would have been given his PCR test today, but no dice. 

 

11/30/2020      The biggest thing today is that Dale finally had his PCR test.  Apparently, they were so aggressive, he startled them with his cry of pain and then his discourse on how to properly administer the test.  He said it was his worst experience to date.  I started getting worried as they hadn’t shown up until late afternoon but at least its done.  I had given some thought to walking to the container store to pick up some roti’s for dinner but as soon as I sent a text to Gerry/Nicky, the sky turned black and then a torrent of rain descended.  Gerry and Nicky think they may have a leak in one of their water tanks; not good.   


No comments: